Once the Historic and Environmental Preservation Board's ("HEPB") decision is made, an appeal to the City Commission can be filed with the Hearing Boards Division in-person or online through this webpage up to up to 60 calendar days from the date of rendition for Final Designation decisions and up to 15 calendar days from the date of rendition for all other decisions.
NOTE: If either the 60th or the 15th calendar day appeal period has closed, an appeal of the HEPB's decision cannot be filed. If either the 60th or the 15th day fall on a weekend or on a City holiday, the last day to appeal will then be extended to the following business day.
To appeal a HEPB decision you will need to submit the following documents:
- Appeal Letter - Your appeal letter addressed to Hearing Boards, with a copy to the Preservation Officer, must indicate the HEPB Resolution number and any other required information pursuant the Cod of the City of Miami, Florida, as amended ("Code"). (Note: Appeals of HEPB decisions related to Special Certificate of Approval must be addressed to the City Manager, with a copy to Hearing Boards and to the Preservation Officer.)
- Proof of Lobbyist Registration- If you are a lobbyist, please provide a copy of your lobbyist registration. If you do not have a copy, or have not yet registered, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 305.250.5360.
- Corporate Resolution from Board of Directors providing authority to submit the appeal on behalf of the organization, if you are representing an organization.
- Certified list of adjacent property owners within 500 feet in one of the following two ways. Whichever method you choose, you will be able to obtain the information in either format and for no cost through the City's GIS property search tool here.
1 - For in-person appeals: Provide a list of the names and addresses of the property owners and the address(es) within 500 feet of the property indicated on the HEPB Resolution. Please format the information as indicated here(PDF, 147KB), and burn the Excel file onto a CD.
2- For online appeals, submitted through this web page: Provide a list of the names and addresses of the property owners and the address(es) within 500 feet of the property indicated on the HEPB Resolution as an individual Excel file that you will submit along with your other appeal materials. Please format the information as indicated here(PDF, 147KB) and again, use our GIS tool. If you need help, learn how to use the GIS Mapping tool.
A complete appeal is one that has all the required paperwork submitted plus all fees paid by the close of business on the appeal period end date. If you are filing an appeal, then you will need to pay the following fees:
- $525.00 appeal fee, or as otherwise specified in the Code
- $4.50 per notice that needs to be mailed
- $1,500.00 for advertising
- Any other fee as specified in the Code
If you are appealing as an abutting property owner you will only need to pay $4.50 per notice that needs to be mailed and $1,500.00 for advertising.
We strongly recommend that you contact Hearing Boards no later than 3:00 PM, Monday - Friday, we are closed on holidays, at HearingBoardDL@miamigov.com to obtain your appeal invoice. You will receive an invoice the same day, which you can pay and then continue with your appeal submission. Your invoice must be paid in full prior to the acceptance of your appeal.
NOTE: The online system will not accept an appeal submission until your invoice has been paid.
- Invoices can be paid online here utilizing the "Transaction ID" # from your invoice (select payments, dropdown menu "Financial Transaction ID").
- You can also pay your invoice in person at the Cashier's Office located at: 444 SW 2nd Avenue, 4th Floor, Miami, Florida 33130. The Cashier's Office is open Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, except on holidays.
IMPORTANT: Appeal fees are non-refundable.
Appeals must be filed with the Hearing Boards Division either in-person (at the below address) or online using our below form. Reminder: The online system will not accept an appeal submission until your invoice has been paid.
Submit Appeal Online
Miami Riverside Center
444 SW 2nd Avenue, 3rd Floor
Miami, Florida 33130
TIP: Appeals are accepted Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, we are closed on weekends and holidays. Appointments are appreciated but are not necessary. Please contact Hearing Boards staff at HearingBoardDL@miamigov.com if you wish to make an appointment.
Assuming all of your documents are in order and you have paid your fee(s), you will be notified via email about your hearing date within two (2) business days.
Note on the Importance of Completed Files: Only a complete, timely filed, and fully paid appeal will be accepted. In-person appeals will be time-stamped and initialed by the Division of Hearing Boards. Only withdrawal letters shall be accepted outside of an appeal period. The appeal will be scheduled to be heard at the next available City Commission meeting; a tentative meeting date will be provided by Hearing Boards staff via email within two (2) business days after filing.