Request a Temporary Event Permit (TEP)

Are you hosting an event for less than 300 people in a location not typically used for this purpose (i.e. a warehouse)? If so, you must apply for a TEP.  The City grants TEP's so that hosts of medium-sized events may avoid the full event permitting process, and to ensure the neighborhood is protected from unnecessary disruptions.  


Determine Eligibility

This is a specific type of permit for a special event held on private property. You may only get this twice a year, per address, if held on private property.  If the event is taking place on public property, the event is limited to ten events per year, for two weeks each.
IMPORTANT: If your event is for more than 300 people, you need a special event permit, which can be found here

Collect Documents

For the application below, you will need the following information:

  • Applicant's name, address, phone, email, address of the event, nature of event, description of event (including but not limited to: cost of admission, inventory value, number of seats, number of employees), date & time of event. 
  • A lease agreement or letter of consent from the property owner (if you are not the owner) .
  • Two sets of site plans (if event is outside) or floor plans (if event is inside), each measuring 11” x 17” mechanically drawn to ¼” scale with event name, address, date and time printed on all plan pages.
  • Letter of Intent
  • Proof of ownership or authorized agent must be provided with the Hold Harmless (see below). This can be a copy of your Sunbiz or a notarized letter from the owner.
  • BTR must be included when admission is charged, or sales are conducted.
  • Copy of active Liquor License must be provided if serving/selling alcohol.
  • If you plan to erect a tent larger than 10x10, you will have to get a fire safety permit as well.  

NOTE: Site plans must show the dimensions of the lot and specify the entrances and exits including the dimension (measurements) of the gate. If using tents, you must show there placement, location of portable toilets, location of all tables and chairs should be specified and the names of all surrounding streets

NOTE: Floor plans must show the square footage of the location being used, the entrances and exits including dimension (size) & emergency exits, location of fire extinguishers, location of stairs (if any), locations of bathrooms, location of all tables and chairs should be specified and the names of surrounding streets 

Prepare Notification Letters

  • You will need to send notification letters to the to the abutting properties (front-back-side and side) as well as the neighborhood homeowner associations  (NHOA) surrounding your event.  Please make sure these are included with the mailings at time of submittal.  The lists of name & addresses can be found below.  
  • The letter must include the following information: name and address of the applicant, address of event, date(s) and time(s) of event, number of people expected to attend and a description of the event.
  • An example of the letter is included in the application, below. 

How to Send Notification Letters

Sign & Send

Your letters need to be signed by a NET employee, then copied and sent. 

  • Go to the NET office that corresponds to your event. The NET administrator must sign and date your notification letters.

View List of NET Offices

  • Make copies of the letters once they are signed by NET. 
  • Send each letter to the corresponding address via certified mail and keep the receipts.  The original certified mail receipts as well as the copies of the signed notification letters that were mailed are to be submitted with the application. 

Review Fees

The fee for this permit is $253.50 if submitted 30 days or more prior to the event.  If submitted within less than 30 days of the event, the fee is $507.00 (double fee).  Please be advised that this is not an expediting fee, this is a late submittal penalty fee.

Print, Complete, Sign & Notarize Application

NOTE: This application + the "Indemnification/Hold Harmless Affidavit" must be signed and notarized, and therefore cannot be done online. 

  • Complete the application and fill in all forms before signing & getting application notarized.
  • Applications must have applicant’s legible email address and phone number and alternate number and email must be provided as well.

Print TEP Application(PDF, 356KB)

Submit Application to NET office

You must deliver your application and all included documents to the NET office that corresponds to the event.

  • Bring signed/notarized application with certified mail receipts and additional documents to your local NET office. NOTE: Fire department questionnaire must be fully answered. 
  • The NET administrator will sign and date the application, and if they see that all documents are included, they will process the payment. Credit cards, checks or money orders are accepted for payments.
  • You will then receive a Financial Transition ID number, a customer receipt and a copy of the application (if requested) so that you may view your permit later, if needed. 

Await Response

If approved, and a permit number is given, the permit will be sent to you via email.  If your permit is not approved, you will be notified by email within 30 days.  If the application is approved with conditions, NET will notify you of the necessary changes. 

TIP: Page two of the application should be signed and notarized by the applicant, and page seven should be signed and notarized by the property owner or registered agent (if they differ). If the property is City owned, the applicant must print and attach to the application the property search results which could be found at show that said property is owned by the City of Miami. No notarization is required in this case.