Apply for a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) - Construction Related

NOTE: There are two types of TUPs.  This page refers to a temporary need for trailers, fences, loading areas, or parking for construction employees. There must already be an existing building permit associated with this application.  This permit is good for two years.

The 'other' type of Temporary Use Permit (TUP - Zoning) is actually a "Temporary Use on Vacant Land".  This applies to activating vacant properties for temporary uses such as structures, tents, kiosks, temporary exhibition areas, and other similar uses which deal in the areas of food, arts, vocation, culture, and entertainment.


Gather Your Information 

You will be asked for the below items on your application:

  • Applicant's name, complete address, phone, and email, email address, address of the construction site, description of use, and date(s).
  • Zoning District (you can find this by doing a search here - hit search, then zoning). NOTE: if your property does not come up, you are not in the City of Miami.   
  • Two sets of site plans each measuring 11” x 17” mechanically drawn to ¼” scale with the name of the construction company, address of the work site and date(s) printed on all plan pages. 
  • Proof of ownership or authorized agent must be provided with the Hold Harmless Affidavit (see document below), this could be a copy of your Sunbiz or a notarized letter from the owner.

NOTESite Plans must show the dimensions of the lot, they must specify the entrances and exits including the dimension (measurements) of the gate, they must show the location of portable toilets, and identify the names/street address of all surrounding streets.  If the request is for the placement of a trailer, site plan must specify if the trailer will have stairs or ramps as well as the measurements of the trailer

NOTE: If the property is City owned, the applicant must print and attach to the application the property search results (see above) to show that the property is owned by the City. (Notarization required for indemnification page only).

Prepare Notification Letters

  • You must send notification letters via Certified Mail to all registered Home Owner Associations (HOA), as well as the abutting properties located within 500 sq. ft. from the property being used,.  These addresses are not included in the Home Owner Association list, this information can be obtained through this search or from NET Staff.  
  • The letter must include the following information: name and address of the applicant, address of event, date(s) and time(s) of event, number of people expected to attend and a description of the event.
  • An example of the letter is included in the application, below. 

Sign & Send

Your letters need to be signed and dated by a NET administrator, then copied and sent. 

  • Go to the NET office that corresponds to your event. 

View NET Offices 

  • Make copies of the letters once they are signed by NET. 
  • Send each letter to the corresponding address via certified mail and keep the receipts.  The original receipts as well as the copies of the signed notification letters are to be submitted with your application. 

Review Fees

The fee for a TUP is $503.50 if submitted 30 days before the anticipated start date, and double fee if submitted with less than 30 days to process.  Please be advised that this is not an expediting fee, this is a late submittal penalty fee.

Complete, Sign & Notarize Application

NOTE: This application + the "Indemnification/Hold Harmless Affidavit" must be printed, signed and notarized, and therefore cannot be done online. 

  • Complete the application and fill in all forms before signing & getting your application notarized.

Print TUP Application(PDF, 356KB)

TIP: Page two of the application should be signed and notarized by the applicant, and page seven should be signed and notarized by the property owner or registered agent (if they differ).

Tip: Fire Department questionnaire must be fully answered.

TIP: Make sure an active building permit number is provided at the time of submittal. This must coincide with the address provided in the TUP application.  If the address does not match the building permit number, then a use agreement between the property/land owner and the construction company must be provided at time of submittal.

Submit Application to NET office

You must deliver your application and all included documents to the NET office that corresponds to the event.

  • Bring signed/notarized application with certified mail receipts and additional documents to your local NET office. NOTE: Fire department questionnaire must be fully answered. 
  • The NET administrator will sign and date the application, and if they see that all documents are included, they will process payment. Credit cards, checks or money orders are accepted for payments.
  • You will then receive a Financial Transition ID number, a customer receipt and a copy of the application (if requested) so that you may view your account online. 

Await Response

If approved, a permit will be sent to you via email.  If your permit is not approved, you will be notified by email within 30 days.  If the application is approved with conditions, NET will notify you of the necessary changes. 

TIP: If applying for a TUP for Temporary Parking, this must only be related to Construction, and is to accommodate the construction Staff with parking while the work is going on.