Once the Historic and Environmental Preservation Board's ("HEPB") decision is rendered, an appeal to the City Commission can be filed with the Hearing Boards Division in-person within 15 calendar days of the date of rendition.
NOTE: If the 15th calendar day appeal period has closed, an appeal of the HEPB's decision cannot be filed. If the 15th day falls on a weekend or on a City holiday, the last day to appeal will then be extended to the following business day.
To appeal a HEPB decision related to a Special Certificate of Appropriateness ("SCOA") or a Final Designation, you will need:
- Appeal Letter - Your appeal letter addressed to Hearing Boards, with a copy to the Preservation Officer, must indicate the HEPB Resolution number.
- Proof of Lobbyist Registration- If you are a lobbyist, please provide a copy of your lobbyist registration. If you do not have a copy, or have not yet registered, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 305.250.5360.
- Corporate Resolution from Board of Directors (if you are representing an organization)
- Certified list of adjacent property owners within 500 feet in one of the following two ways. Whichever method you choose, you will be able to obtain the information in either format and for no cost through the City's GIS property search tool here.
1 - Provide a list of the names and addresses of the property owners and the address(es) within 500 feet of the property indicated on the SCOA or Final Designation in Excel format. Please format the information as indicated here(PDF, 147KB), and burn the Excel file onto a CD.
2- Provide a list of the names and addresses of the property owners and the address(es) within 500 feet of the property indicated on the SCOA or Final Designation in printed format. Please provide two (2) sets of printed mailing labels.
If you are filing an appeal and you are either the property owner or an aggrieved party, you will need to pay:
- $525.00 appeal fee.
- $3.50 per certified notice that needs to be mailed out.
Appeals must be filed in person with the Hearing Boards Division located at:
444 SW 2nd Avenue, 3rd Floor
Miami, Florida 33130
TIP: Appeals are accepted Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00AM and 5:00PM. Appointments are appreciated but are not necessary. Please contact the Division of Hearing Boards at 305.416.2030 if you wish to make an appointment.
NOTE: After filing your appeal, you will immediately be given an invoice.
Your invoice must be paid in full prior to the acceptance of your appeal. Invoices can be paid online here utilizing the "Transaction ID" # from your invoice (select payments, dropdown menu "Financial Transaction ID").
You can also pay at the Cashier's Office located at:
444 SW 2nd Avenue, 4th Floor
Miami, Florida 33130
TIP: The Cashier's Office is open Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00AM and 4:30PM.
Assuming all of your documents are in order and you have paid, you will be notified via email and mail about your hearing date within five (5) working days.
NOTE: The Importance of Completed Files
Only a complete, timely filed, and paid appeal will be accepted. This will be time-stamped and initialed by the Division of Hearing Boards in-person. Only withdrawal letters shall be accepted outside of an appeal period. The appeal will be scheduled to be heard at the next timely Planning and Zoning City Commission meeting; a tentative meeting date will be provided by Hearing Boards staff at the time of filing.