Get a Hyrdrant Flow/Fire Flow Test

Are you undertaking new construction, creating an addition larger than 2500 square feet or a renovation greater than 25%?

If so, when applying for your building permit, you will be instructed to get a hydrant or fire flow test in order to ensure safe and effective pressures and water flow to your building for domestic and emergency services.



Apply for Building Permit

You cannot get a hydrant flow test until/unless you've applied for your building permit, at which point you'll be notified if you need to do this procedure. Guide to Getting a Permit

Collect Documents

You will need a civil site plan for this application, which indicates the project and the surrounding water mains.

  • You/your contractor must show, on a map, which main is being tapped as the building's point-of-service(s) for water. 
  • If your project is considered a high-rise, two taps and two flow tests are required.
  • You can access county water maps through the WASD website. 


If/when the building department determines you need this test, you will be provided with an application to fill out. If you need a copy of this application, email

Send Documents

Email your completed application and your civil site plan to or deliver in-person to the Fire Plans Review Section on the 4th floor of Miami Riverside Center (444 SW 2nd Ave). 

Pay Fees

Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an invoice with a financial transaction ID for this service, pay through the link below. The fee is $250 per test.

Pay Fee

Await Confirmation

When your documentation is complete and payment is made, you will receive your test results via email (usually with two weeks from date of invoice). The result will be pass or fail. 

Address Comments

Any failure will require a re-test.  If you receive comments from the fire department, address those comments immediately. Once you've made improvements or adjustments, start at the beginning of this process for your retest.

Your final building permit will not be issued until your property has passed this test.