Repair or Rennovate a Historic Property

Do you need to repair or make changes to a historic property? The City of Miami requires a certificate of appropriateness (COA) for any work on historic properties in order to protect our city's history.  This can include small projects like window replacements as well as large projects like new construction.  

NOTE: All property construction requires traditional permitting.  The steps below are to acquire necessary certificates applicable to historic properties only, an additional step to the permitting process


Contact Staff to Discuss Your Project.

To save time and effort, we highly recommend speaking to a preservation staff member about your proposed project. You can make an appointment and/or ask general questions by calling your district's representative:

  • Riverview/Spring Garden call Warren Adams: 305-416-1059.
  • Bayside, Beverly Terrace, Downtown, and Morningside call Wendy Sczechowicz: 305-416-2034
  • Buena Vista, Lummus Park, MiMo, Palm Grove and South River call Vickie Toranzo: 350-416-1137

Determine Which Kind of Project You are Undertaking

TIP: Step 1 will help you determine which certificate you need.