Has the Final Decision for an Interpretation Been Posted, or the Final Decision for a Planning Determination Been Posted, or a CU Denial or Revocation Letter Been Mailed to you?
If a finalized Zoning Interpretation or Planning Director Determination has not been posted and you would like more information, please contact the Planning Department at 305.416.1400 or the Office of Zoning at 305.416.1499. You may check for a final decision here.
Certificate of Use Denial or Revocations do not get posted. The date on the letter issued by the Zoning Administrator is the start of the 15-day appeal period. You will need to provide a copy of the letter at the time of your appeal.
Is the Appeal Period Open?
Once a finalized decision for a Final Decision or for an Interpretation has been posted, an appeal can be filed with the Hearing Boards Division in-person or online through this webpage within 15 calendar days of the posting date.
If you have been issued a Certificate of Use Denial or Revocation letter, an appeal can be filed with the Hearing Boards Division in-person or online through this webpage within 15 days from the date of the Zoning Administrator's letter.
NOTE: If the 15th calendar day appeal period has closed, an appeal of the decision cannot be filed. If the 15th day falls on a weekend or on a City holiday, the last day to appeal will then be extended to the following business day.
To appeal you will need:
- Appeal Letter - Your appeal letter must indicate the decision that you are appealing, and must include any other required information pursuant to the Code of the City of Miami, Florida, as amended ("Code").
- Proof of Lobbyist Registration- If you are a lobbyist, please provide a copy of your lobbyist registration. If you do not have a copy, or have not yet registered, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 305.250.5360.
- Corporate Resolution from Board of Directors providing authority to submit the appeal on behalf of the organization, if you are representing an organization
- Certified list of property owners within 500 ft of the property lines of the address indicated on the posting or letter, in one of the following two ways. Whichever method you choose, you will be able to obtain the information and at no cost through the City's GIS property search tool here.
1 - For in-person appeals: Please format the information as indicated here(PDF, 147KB), and burn the Excel file onto a CD.
2- For appeals submitted through this web page: Provide a list as an individual Excel file that you will submit along with your other appeal materials. Please format the information as indicated here(PDF, 147KB).
If you are filing an appeal as the original applicant of an aggrieved party, you will need to pay:
- $800.00 appeal fee
- $4.50 per noticed that needs to be mailed
- $1,500.00 for advertising
Pay Your Invoice
We strongly recommend that you contact Hearing Boards no later than 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday, we are closed on holidays, at HearingBoardDL@miamigov.com with the total number of property owners within 500 feet of the property so that you may be provided with your appeal invoice. You will also need to provide the address of the subject property, if applicable.
Note: Certificate of Use Denial or Revocations do not get posted; therefore, we will need a copy of the letter you received plus the number of property owners within 500 ft. of the property so that you may be provided with your appeal invoice.
You will receive an invoice the same day, which you can pay and then continue with your appeal submission. Your invoice must be paid in full prior to the acceptance of your appeal.
NOTE: The online system will not accept an appeal submission until your invoice has been paid.
- Invoices can be paid online here utilizing the "Transaction ID" # from your invoice (select payments, dropdown menu "Financial Transaction ID").
- You can also pay your invoice in person at the Cashier's Office located at: 444 SW 2nd Avenue, 4th Floor, Miami, Florida 33130. The Cashier's Office is open Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, except on holidays.
IMPORTANT: Appeal fees are non-refundable.
File your Appeal
Appeals must be filed with the Hearing Boards Division either in-person (at the below address) or online using our below form. Reminder: The online system will not accept an appeal submission until your invoice has been paid.
Submit Appeal Online
Miami Riverside Center
444 SW 2nd Avenue, 3rd Floor
Miami, Florida 33130
TIP: Appeals are accepted Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, we are closed on weekends and holidays. Appointments are appreciated but are not necessary. Please contact Hearing Boards staff at HearingBoardDL@miamigov.com if you wish to make an appointment.
Assuming all of your documents are in order and you have paid your fee(s), you will be notified via email about your hearing date within two (2) business days.
NOTE on the Importance of Completed Files: Only a complete, timely filed, and fully paid appeal will be accepted. In-person appeals will be time-stamped and initialed by the Division of Hearing Boards. Only withdrawal letters shall be accepted outside of an appeal period. The appeal will be scheduled to be heard at the next available Planning, Zoning and Appeals Board; a tentative meeting date will be provided by Hearing Boards staff via email within two (2) business days after filing.