Is the Appeal Period Open?
Once an Intended Decision has been issued, an appeal to the Historic and Environmental Preservation Board can be filed with the Hearing Boards Division in-person or online through this webpage within ten (10) calendar days after the date of the Intended Decision. This date can be seen on the decision notification posted directly on the property. The notice of appeal shall include the decision being appealed and the reasons or grounds for the appeal. You can check the appeal period at this link.
NOTE: If the 10th calendar day appeal period has closed, an appeal of the Intended Decision cannot be filed. If the 10th day falls on a weekend or on a City holiday, the last day to appeal will then be extended to the following business day.
NOTE: Only the applicant, an abutting property owner, or any aggrieved party having standing under state law, may appeal.
To appeal an Intended Decision, you will need to submit the following:
- Appeal Letter - Your appeal letter addressed to Preservation Officer and to Hearing Boards must indicate the application number, and must include any other required information pursuant to the Code of the City of Miami, Florida, as amended ("Code"). If you do not have the Intended Decision number, please contact the Environmental Resources Division at 305.416.1416, or you can find the Intended Decision at this link.
- Proof of Lobbyist Registration (if applicable)- If you are a lobbyist, please provide a copy of your lobbyist registration. If you do not have a copy, or have not yet registered, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 305.250.5360.
- Corporate Resolution from Board of Directors providing authority to submit the appeal on behalf of the organization, if you are representing an organization.
- Certified list of adjacent property owners. Provide a list of the names and addresses of the adjacent property owners and the address(es) for the property indicated on the Intended Decision. You can do this through a property search here.
1 - For in-person appeals: Provide a list of the names and addresses of the property owners and the address(es) for the property indicated on the Intended Decision. Please format the information as indicated here(PDF, 147KB), and copy the Excel file onto a USB flash drive (also called a thumb drive).
2- For appeals submitted through this web page: Provide a list of the names and addresses of the adjacent property owners and the address(es) for the property indicated on the Intended Decision as an individual Excel file that you will submit along with your other appeal materials. Please format the information as indicated here(PDF, 147KB).
- If you are filing an appeal as an owner, applicant, or aggrieved party, you will need to pay an appeal fee of $315.00.
- If you are filing an appeal as nonprofit corporation dedicated to conservation and protection of the natural and physical environment, or appeals by a homeowners association that has one member who owns property within 500 feet of the property, then you will need to pay a reduced appeal fee of $157.50.
- If you are filing an appeal as an abutting property owner, there are no appeal fees.
- There are no noticing or advertisement fees.
Request and Pay Your Invoice
We strongly recommend that you contact Hearing Boards no later than 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday (we are closed on holidays), at HearingBoardDL@miamigov.com to obtain your appeal invoice. You will receive an invoice the same day, which you can pay and then continue with your appeal submission. Your invoice must be paid in full prior to the acceptance of your appeal. When requesting an invoice, please indicate the decision you are appealing, your name, your relationship to the property, along with the subject address. If you are an abutting property owner, please indicate that in your request for invoice. You will receive an email from Hearing Boards that you can upload where proof of payment is requested.
NOTE: The online system will not accept an appeal submission until your invoice has been paid.
- Invoices can be paid online here utilizing the "Transaction ID" # from your invoice (select payments, dropdown menu "Financial Transaction ID").
- You can also pay your invoice in person at the Cashier's Office located at: 444 SW 2nd Avenue, 4th Floor, Miami, Florida 33130. The Cashier's Office is open Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, except on holidays.
IMPORTANT: Appeal fees are non-refundable.
File your Appeal
Appeals must be filed with the Hearing Boards Division either in-person (at the below address) or online using our below form. Reminder: The online system will not accept an appeal submission until your invoice has been paid.
Submit Appeal Online
Miami Riverside Center
444 SW 2nd Avenue, 3rd Floor
Miami, Florida 33130
TIP: Appeals are accepted in person Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. We are closed on weekends and holidays. Appointments are appreciated but are not necessary. Please contact Hearing Boards staff at HearingBoardDL@miamigov.com if you wish to make an appointment. Appeals also are accepted online until 11:59 PM on the appeal period end date.
Assuming all of your documents are in order and you have paid your fee(s), you will be notified via email about your hearing date within two (2) business days.
NOTE on the Importance of Completed Files: Only a complete, timely filed, and fully paid appeal will be accepted. In-person appeals will be time-stamped and initialed by the Division of Hearing Boards. Only withdrawal letters shall be accepted outside of an appeal period. The appeal will be scheduled to be heard at the next available Historic and Environmental Preservation Board meeting; a tentative meeting date will be provided by Hearing Boards staff via email within two (2) business days after filing.