The Arts & Entertainment Council (or MAEC) serves in an advisory capacity and makes recommendations to the Mayor, City Commission and City Manager regarding endorsement or support of specific art and entertainment special events, performance and productions as well as determinations as to whether any specific art shall be accepted or acquired by the City. The board also coordinates with City departments, as appropriate, and originates cultural and entertainment activities within the City. Additional roles of the board include:
1. Qualify community events as being officially recognized by the Arts Council.
2. Advocate and encourage public participation in all cultural, fine arts and entertainment events.
3. Maintain a separate, non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation for the purpose of seeking funding from outside sources to support major arts and entertainment special events.
4. Appoint artists, entertainers or other knowledgeable individuals as honorary Council members, who shall advise and assist the Council in the furtherance of its duties.
5. Serve as the City's official liaison with major arts and entertainment facilities and organizations to attract art and entertainment programs of other governmental, private or public agencies to the City, including, but not limited to: Gusman Center for the Performing Arts, James L. Knight Center, Tower Theater, Manuel Artime Center, Coconut Grove Playhouse, New World School of the Arts, Miami Film Festival, Performing Arts Center, Miami City Ballet, Florida Philharmonic, New World Symphony, Florida Grand Opera.