Grooming, Massage & Tattoo Businesses
Open with Mandatory Requirements
- All services are by appointment only; absolutely no walk-ups permitted.
- Employees must wear a facemask and gloves at all times.
- Employees providing face-to-face services (beard/mustache, eyebrows, facials) must also wear a clear face shield when providing services.
- Customers must wait outside of the store until called inside for their appointment (may wait in car or outside of store keeping proper social distancing from other waiting customers).
- Customers must wear a facemask inside the store, which may only be removed when necessary to receive services.
- Only customers receiving service may enter the store (parent/guardian may accompany minors receiving service).
Personal grooming businesses – including hair and nail salons, barbershops and spas – must adhere closely to the following set of specialized rules, which are designed to keep customers and employees safe.
Under Amendment 2 to Miami-Dade County Emergency Order 23-20, massage studios and tattoo parlors within City of Miami limits are approved to reopen Monday, June 8. Owners/operators of businesses that fall in this category must comply with the specific Miami-Dade County rules and regulations for reopening massage studios and tattoo parlors outlined on page 47 and 48 of the document found here and are strongly advised to review the detailed rules and regulations prior to reopening.
Additional Considerations for Personal Grooming Stores
I. Workforce Protection
- Minimum of 6 ft distance between customers, except families residing at same dwelling.
- Capacity limited to 10 individuals (employees & customers) or 25% of building occupancy as required by law, whichever is smaller at any one time.
- As possible, install plexiglass barrier between salon chairs.
- Only customers receiving service may enter the shop (except parent/guardian accompanying minor).
- All services require appointment; appointments must be recorded for tracking purposes and notification of others present in the shop, if positive COVID-19 case is reported.
- Customers must wait outside of business (practicing social distancing) or in their cars until called for appointment.
- Paging system may be utilized similar to restaurants, so customers do not congregate outside or around the shop.
- Walk-ins are prohibited.
II. Employee Protection
- Employees must wear masks and gloves at all times, use of face shields is strongly encouraged.
- Employees must not share tools.
- Hairdressers have to wear single-use aprons.
- Face to face service requires a face shield being worn by groomer/stylist (e.g., beard/mustache, eyelashes, eyebrow, facial).
III. Non-Employee Protection
- Customers must wear face masks (coverings may be removed when necessary to perform face services as instructed by groomers/stylist).
- Customers must be provided with disinfection spray on entry/exit.
IV. Business Process Adaptations
- Cleaning and disinfecting agents must be EPA registered and labeled as bactericidal, virucidal and fungicidal.
- i. Reception and Retail Area
- Discard old magazines and other non-essential items in the waiting area that cannot be disinfected.
- Wipe down all soft surfaces (couches, chairs) with water and clean towel.
- Clean and disinfect all hard, non-porous surfaces such as reception counter, computer keyboard, phones, door handles, light switches and point of sale equipment.
- Clean and disinfect all shelving, glass and display cases; keep product containers clean and dust free.
- Place signage in window to notify customers of your diligence in practicing proper infection control.
- ii. Workstations – this must be performed after each service(s) provided to the customer
- Clean and disinfect all non-porous implements used in your services (immersion, spray or wipe).
- Store properly disinfected implements in closed containers.
- Clean and disinfect all electrical implements used in your services.
- Clean and disinfect chairs and headrests; consider barrier methods on chairs such as disposable paper drapes or towels that can be laundered after each client.
- Clean and disinfect workstation, drawers and any containers used for storage.
- Ensure that single use porous items are new.
- All items on a nail station must either be new, never used, or cleaned and disinfected (stored in a closed container until ready to use).
- iii. Treatment Rooms/Laundry/Shampoo Bowls/Pedicure Bowls
- Clean and disinfect any appliances used.
- Clean and disinfect treatment tables.
- Ensure all single use items are new.
- Empty wax pots, completely clean and disinfect, and refill with new wax.
- Any used linens must be washed and dried on the HOT temperature setting.
- All clean linens must be stored in closed covered cabinets.
- Launder (porous) or disinfect (non-porous) all capes.
- Clean and disinfect all shampoo bowls, handles, hoses, spray nozzles and shampoo chairs after each use.
- Clean and disinfect pedicure bowls after each use.
- Washing hair before a cut is compulsory.
- Encourage paperless transactions and offer to email receipts if possible.
- All staff must wash hands before and after each service; if possible, it is recommended to wash hands in front of the customer.