The City of Miami Solid Waste Department provides residential garbage collection twice per week.
Fully-automated refuse collection is a new technologically advanced waste collection system designed to improve collection efficiency,
enhance performance, improve customer relations, and reduce both operational workers and worker's compensation cost.
The operator uses a set of hand controls to mechanically lift and return a roll out cart from the homeowner's curbside.
Fully-automated collection was introduced to 68,000 residential customers in the winter of 2002.
For more information on this program please call the Solid Waste Department Customer Service Division at 311.
Garbage is classified as normal household
kitchen refuse including things that will
Garbage Collection Schedule:
If you reside between the following boundaries:
North of Flagler Street and East of N.W. 57th Avenue:
Garbage Collection Days - Monday and Thursday
South of Flagler Street and West of N.W. 57th Avenue:
Garbage Collection Days - Tuesday and Friday
Bagged household refuse
Bagged kitchen food waste
Small bagged yard trash
Small bagged yard clippings (less than 2 feet)
Chemical and hazardous materials
Dead Animals (Contact Animal Control via 311)
Small appliances such as: toaster, microwave, blender, etc.
Tires and vehicle parts
Container overflow - lid not properly closed
Personal (non city) garbage container
Placement of Garbage Container(s):
Must be placed on the city right away
Must be placed five (5) feet away from any obstruction such as:
Parked vehicles, trees, fences, poles, other container(s), building/structure,
recycle bin, mailbox, fire hydrants, power lines (overheard), etc.
Container lid must face/open towards the street
Container lid must by fully closed so garbage does not spill or fall out during collection
DO'S AND DON'TS
1) Place all garbage inside your container.
Recycle as much as possible to leave room for garbage in the cart.
The automated system cannot collect garbage or recyclables set out in other
cans that are not City approved.
1) Do Not place trash outside the container in trash bags or in other containers.
The system can only collect the garbage in the designated cart.
2) Only put acceptable trash/garbage items in your green container, no
All garbage MUST be bagged and properly secured so that contents do not spill out.
2) Do Not place Household Hazardous Waste (paint, motor oil, gasoline, household
cleaners, etc) in green container for pick up.
These are accepted at the Home Chemical Management plant, call 311 for more information.
3) Roll your cart to the street and place it with wheels against the curb by 6:00 a.m. on your designated collection day.
The green container must be properly closed with lid closed.
3) Do Not place rocks, concrete, sand, dirt or any construction materials inside the container.
4) Leave at least five (5) feet of clearance on both sides and top of your
Green bin so that the mechanical arm can collect the cart.
4) Do Not place hot materials such as charcoal in cart, it will damage and melt the plastic cart.
5) Remember to bring in the cart by 10:00 p.m. on collection day to avoid a
citation/fine. Please store the container on a safe place to avoid theft.
5) Do Not place trash or garbage in the recycling cart as it will contaminate the recyclables.
To report a garbage miss, please contact 311
One garbage container is provided to each residential home or unit. To report a damaged or stolen garbage container please contact 311.