What We Do
OCI coordinates the City of Miami's capital improvement planning process and long-range program so that capital spending supports strategic citywide initiatives and neighborhood needs. This culminates in a six-year capital improvement plan that is produced annually. All expenditures of capital improvement dollars must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Management and Budget. Additionally, OCI directs and executes all capital improvement projects for the City involving in-house design and construction and/or those that require professional design - architectural, engineering, landscape architectural and/or surveying services.
Our office is organized into office administration staff and four divisions: (1) Design Management; (2) Construction Management; (3) Communications & Community Outreach; (4) Legislation Contracts Compliance. Each division plays a critical role in providing comprehensive services to maintain and improve the needs of our communities within the City of Miami, as well as providing support to all city departments and divisions.
Some of the critical activities of our divisions include:
- Providing engineering and architectural services for the City using a combination of in-house personnel and outside consultants for various projects (paving and drainage, traffic, fire and police stations, park recreational buildings, etc.)
- Devising realistic project scopes, cost estimates and schedules, conducting all due diligence and design activities for capital construction projects to ensure timely and cost effective delivery of projects
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive plan for all City facilities and right-of-ways to transition to full accessibility in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Administering design contracts and work orders, handling requests for proposals, and processing work orders and pay requests during project design
- Providing regular on-site inspections of construction in progress for capital projects using in-house staff and at times with firms under contract as construction engineering observers
- Administering construction contracts for all horizontal and vertical projects, handling requests for information, processing change orders and pay requests, as well as performing constructability reviews during project design.
Communications and Community Outreach
- Managing and maintaining an information call center, website, and social media networks while providing customer service to the public and other departments, overseeing the routing of all voice and written communications to the appropriate division internally and within external agencies
- Conducting community outreach activities including project informational meetings, media coordination, groundbreakings and ribbon cuttings ceremonies
- Responding to all Public Records Requests and Media Inquiries and interviews
Legislation Contracts Compliance
- Developing and submitting all correspondence and supporting documents in support of the execution and administration of agreements and grants, as well as the timely submittal of all
OCI legislation for City Commission
- Accounting properly for grant expenditures and coordinating grant reimbursements, providing program documentation and evaluation, and monitoring compliance with funding requirements and grant management that may impact current and future funding for
- Assisting the procurement section with contract administration including tracking funded contracts and reimbursements received against citywide contracts